There are situations that benefit from a technical “project manager:”
- Evaluating and selecting a new phone system
- Redesigning a Web site
- Creating a technology plan
- Formulating mobile technology strategies
- Interviewing for in-house tech positions like Web manager
- Researching and evaluating technology and information services of any type!
Most organizations do not require full time technical expertise, but finding reliable outside knowledge without complicated and expensive contracts is challenging. Unfortunately, many small companies end up relying on staff who are in a steep learning curve, vendors, and less than reliable second or third hand information.